Instagram

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

philly


So, I was in Philly for the last two weeks working on this crazy art project. An armada of floating raft sculptures. While I was there, I was staying in the ghetto. The ghetto in Philly is more ghetto, in my opinion, than Brooklyn. Or at least the Bed Stuy Brooklyn neighborhood I live in. Also, people are more friendly. A hell of a lot more friendly. We spent some of the hot nights sitting out on the stoop, drinking beer. People walking by always said hello. Alot of people would actually stop and talk for a while. Like an hour. It was a regular occurrence.

So, the last day I was there, I decided to put up a painting around the corner. I asked my friend and her kid to come along for the walk. I am under the impression that wheatpasting is basically legal because of the temporary nature of it. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!

Anyway, we strolled around the corner and I got to work brushing on the goo. My friend was interested in learning how, so I was showing her and her adorable rascal of a son who is 4. It was an abandoned house with boarded up windows and doors. Perfect. I put it up and immediately a woman and her three kids came over to inspect. "It's beautiful!" she exclaimed. The kids were excited too. "it's a painting?" "you made it??"
I've never had such a warm reception to putting up street art before. Then another, middle aged woman came over. She was also quite enthusiastic about it. I have to admit I was a little taken aback. Then two more people came by and started asking me to paint the side of their house.They asked for my card. I gave it to them.

They really love art in that neighborhood. They want to beautify their neighborhood. It seems like they are all community oriented and know everyone in their neighborhood. It's more than I can say for my neighborhood. My downstairs neighbors even. I encountered our new neighbor last night as I was headed out with my bike. He opened the door and looked frightened. He hurried by me without a word. I was like "yeah, nothing to be frightened of here, just your neighbor... " Why are white people so freaked out by people?? I'm sick of it.

After I put up the painting with the appreciation committee block, I went a few blocks away and put up another one. It was kind of hard to reach, so it came out kind of wrinkled. I think that's ok. I don't mind, it looks kind of cool wrinkled. A dude was watching me from across the street. I greeted him and he crossed the street to talk. He said the building looks better with the painting on it. He said he knows the owner and he thinks he'll be alright with it. His name was James. Friendly, all around. It's kind of mind blowing how friendly folks are. You know rich folks are not that friendly. If I was putting up free art in their neighborhood, they wouldn't bother saying hello, they'd probably just call the po po.

Here are some photos of the building I put a painting on in point breeze, philly.




No comments:

Post a Comment