Instagram

Monday, September 12, 2011

Younity in Yonkers


I headed up to Yonkers the other day to go to the Younity Collective's Art Opening. It was at the Yonkers Riverside Public Library. Don't let the name fool you. It turned out to be in a very nice gallery space on the 4th floor of the library. The show featured work by some very fine women artists exploring the theme of Mother Earth and Neighborhoods. Please go up and check it out if you are in the area. The show is continuing through December, so that gives you plenty of time!

Here are some photos from the exhibit:

Faith47 "No Gods No Masters" Oil on Wood


Lichiban "Katapulco Rising: The Apparition" Acrylic on Wood

Lady Alezia "Dormeuse aux Fluers" Acrylic & Spray Paint on Canvas

Swoon "Ice Queen" screen print on wood



Marthalicia Matarrita "Untitled" Acrylic on Canvas

Alice Mizrachi


lmnop "cholera" mixed media


lmnop "Zamni" mixed media

I found myself especially moved by Faith 47's work. She is a South African artist and in addition to the very delicately painted portrait of a miner playing dominoes, she had a video loop playing. It was a compilation of a few films made by herself and Rowan Pybus documenting her work in SA. Powerful stuff.

After the library closed, I went outside where the city of Yonkers was having their Riverside Festival. Oh my.
I could barely believe my luck. KISS was playing!


upcoming: Chicken John's new book and Samson Contompasis's Living Walls Exhibit in Albany, NY
Stay tuned! and thanks for reading me.

photo credits: Rachel Eisley

No comments:

Post a Comment